Alright – I am going to play a bit of ‘copy cat.’ The term “SEO Expert” is loosely thrown out there similar to “Social Media Expert.” What really defines an expert – does anyone know?
I personally believe that the term “SEO Expert” is a joke and is overused – and because of that I need to include in some places in my blog to attract those who are uneducated about the term to my blog and services.
This is how I would start to define what a SEO Expert should know:
- How to pick your blogging software, configure a database, and install on a hosting package.
- How to edit side bars, footer, widgets all via HTML & CSS
- Install & Read Analytic performance software
- Be proficient in writing and editing HTML, CSS, and XML without a reference book
- How to edit a .htaccess file and basic understanding of mod_rewrite & Linux
- Understand and know how to write a 301 & 302 redirect when appropriate
- How to write (from scratch) a URL Rewrite (Permalinks) via .htaccess
- Understand the value of Internal Links vs. External
- How to use rel=”nofollow” and when it’s appropriate
- Understand all SEO Jargon without looking
- Be able to understand and comprehend Google Trends & Analytical Data to better serve the website owners visitors.
- Able to comprehend and act on User Experience Testing
- Understand the in-and out’s of Google Local Maps.
I could go on but its important to understand a “SEO Expert,” and I use that loosely, is not someone who read SEO for Dummies, understands that basic important and structure of Meta Elements and knows how to use WordPress – it’s someone who has deep knowledge and understanding of web development, basic server administration (.htaccess, Mod Rewrites) and the importance of many elements deemed important in the SEO world.
How about them apples?