What are the most common mistakes in SEO? The answer to this question gave Miley Ohye from Google. Although for experienced professionals these tips may seem trite but beginners it will be useful for beginners.
Briefly, mistakes are:
1) Users don’t see the value of your site. Think about efficiency of your site and analyze all the advantages over competitors' sites, etc.
2) Segmented approach to optimization and promotion process. Be careful when formulating SEO objectives (Miley warns). Make sure they are agreed upon company goals. For example, if marketing department plans to launch a new video (or make some other changes), ensure that users and search engines will find that content.
3) Using sophisticated workarounds. Learn new features, monitor information of search engines, and explore best practices that will help simplify promotion process.
4) Less watch over new positions and SEO-tricks. Focus on core tasks that will lead regular visitors to your site.
5) Delay of iterations. Be flexible and fast. Don’t delay processes associated with site improving, testing innovations for too long.
Miley gives 6 tips for SEO-experts:
- Do something cool. Make sure your website is out from a competition.
- Think about keywords. Think about user's requests, what could they ask to find your site.
- Put down meta tags, remember about snippets, title and descriptions. Make intuitive navigation and internal link building.
- Subscribe for Webmaster Tools. Google may send you messages and announce something important related to your site.
- Attract “buzz”. Natural links, likes… will help promote your site. Therefore, create content that will be interesting for users and they’d like to share.
- Be fresh and relevant. Regularly update your content, be in social media, and create mobile versions of your site (if it would help your target audience).